Pages

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Number 8


A Confederacy of Dunces
John Kennedy Toole

As I said, this top 10 list is fairly random. My top 3 books are the only ones I can truly say are in order, but all in the top 10 have probably been my favorite book at some point or another. This is definitely the case with this novel. I read this in my high school English class when I was a junior. I absolutely loved it, and still do to this day. I've probably read it about 3 times, and each time I read it I get something different from the experience. The last time I read it was after Hurricane Katrina, which added a bit of a sadness to a novel that is for the most part comical. If you've ever been to New Orleans, you'll know that this book nails the atmosphere perfectly. Everything from the description of the French Quarter, the Lucky Dog vendors on Bourbon Street at all hours of the night, even the different types of people you will meet throughout the city.

The novel centers on the adventures (or misadventures) of Ignatius J. Reilly. Reilly is an incredibly intelligent, self-proclaimed "philosopher" with a degree in Medieval philosophy. Prior to the novel, he was a teacher at Tulane, where he was incredibly unpopular with students and lost his job. In one memorable scene, he describes himself throwing their papers out of an office window because he refuses to read such trash. However, instead of looking for another job, he simply stays at home and writes his postulations in a series of notebooks. He also takes long baths, complaining to his mother about his stomach problems. As a large man, Ignatius does not do much except write and complain. However, when he and his mother encounter a financial hardship, he is forced to find a job. The Medieval philosopher becomes a New Orleans institution: a Lucky Dog vendor.

While Ignatius is a brilliant character, what really sets this novel apart is how Toole intertwines various characters throughout the book. While not difficult to follow, I cannot give many details here without giving away most of the story. But, you will meet a frustrated door man, a vice cop forced to work men's restrooms (and solicit men in order to entrap potential customers), a strip club proprietor with a seedy business on the side, an aspiring stripper who continually creates elaborate ways in which to remove her clothes (one dance involves her pet bird), a frustrated hype man/bouncer, and the owner of a struggling jean manufacturer. Amazingly, the story and characters fit together perfectly.

The book is quite funny, but underneath all the humor is a somewhat sad relationship between Ignatius and his mother. Throughout the novel, I found myself feeling sorry for his mother and frustrated with Ignatius. However, the dynamic that exists between them is probably the most interesting and well-developed part of the novel. While the story at times becomes outlandish, this aspect strikes home like nothing else.

Unfortunately, Toole only wrote one other novel (The Neon Bible), which I have not read. A Confederacy of Dunces was actually published after his death, so sadly he was not alive to see any of the acclaim it received.

Despite how wonderful this book is to me, reading it is also sad because of how obviously talented Toole is as a writer. Who knows what else he could have written? I do plan to read this book again soon, although I might have to buy a new one because the binding has separated on my current copy! Put this book on your list. You won't regret it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your comments here!